the smell of frangipani



Early in the morning I worked next to two frangipani trees. You might also know them under the name plumeria.
They have those beautiful white and yellow flowers that are most fragrant in the night- but a walk in the evening or work in the early morning as in my case will also reward you with the sweet, rich smell.

Plumeria is indigenous to Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean- but it can grow in all warm regions. They can have flowers in a range of colours- but the ones we have in the kibbutz are yellow and white as in the picture above.

The plumeria we have are deciduous- so in winter they are strange to look at with their bare branches looking a bit like stubby fingers reaching for the sky.

You can actually take a cutting from a tree, let it dry for 5-7 days and stick it into some dirt- it should develop roots. I have to say that I never tried it but I might try one day.

Well- right now I am at home with a stomach ache- but hopefully I will be back under the frangipani trees by tomorrow morning.




Comments

Popular Posts